Vocational and industrial trainers and instructors
Vocational and industrial trainers provide instruction in manual, manipulative and other vocational skills and advise on, plan and organise vocational instruction within industrial, commercial and other establishments.
- Devises general and specialised training courses in response to particular needs.
- Advises on training programmes and discusses progress or problems with staff and trainees.
- Plans curriculum and rota of staff duties and updates or amends them in light of developments.
- Arranges work experience and instructional visits for trainees.
- Supervises trainee development, assists trainees with difficulties and prepares regular progress reports on each trainee for management.
- Assesses training requirements and prepares lectures, demonstrations and study aids.
Careers advisers and vocational guidance specialists
Job holders in this unit group give advice on careers or occupations, training courses and related matters, direct school leavers and other job seekers into employment and assess their progress.
- Monitors progress and welfare of young people in employment and advises them on any difficulties.
- Organises careers forums and exhibitions and establishes and maintains contact with local employers, colleges and training providers.
- Liaises with employers to determine employment opportunities and advises schools, colleges or individuals accordingly.
- Visits educational and other establishments to give talks and distribute information regarding careers.
- Advises on appropriate courses of study or avenues into employment.
- Uses an interview, questionnaire and/or psychological or other test to determine the aptitude, preferences and temperament of the client.