Placements will enable learners to develop timekeeping, appearance attitude, conduct, initiative, motivation, communication, self-management skills, teamwork and interpersonal skills which will support them both on their course and in a real work situation when they progress from college to industry.
The Work Experience Team and Curriculum staff will direct and assist all students in the search for suitable placements by following a work placement preparation programme across College. This should include a basic understanding of health and safety, safeguarding and behavioural requirements and will complement any ‘employability’ module being taught as part of curriculum.
This year Stoke on Trent College will be using software called Connect to manage work experience placements for all students. Learners can access this via the Connect – Placement Manager App, which is free to download via The App Store or Google Play. Learners will be informed about this during a tutorial delivered by the Work Experience Coordinator.
Process for students
- Register on Connect – Student to create an account on the Connect App- includes parent or guardian and health and welfare needs.
- Work Experience Research & Preferences – Student to fill in employer details and placement dates on Connect when a placement is confirmed.
- Work Experience Placement Information – WEX team to verify placement with employer.
- Student to complete a pre-work personality questionnaire on the Connect App.
- During placement – Student to attend placement ensuring that they demonstrate employability skills (timekeeping, appearance, conduct, attitude, initiative, motivation, communication, self-management and teamwork).
- Work Experience Monitoring Visit – WEX team to attend or make a phone call to check.
- Student Feedback – Student to fill in post-work personality questionnaire.
- Employer Feedback – Employer to fill in feedback on placement.
- Certificate will be received by the student.
For more details, please view the Work Placement: A Guide for Parents and Carers. Contact the Work Experience Officers via:
Was this article helpful?
Need more help?
If there is an instance when our site does not meet the need of a specific disabled user group we will make changes to our current content, wherever appropriate, so that w e can become more inclusive to a wider audience. Please contact us if this is the case at email@example.com.